Venue General Manager - London
This is a great opportunity for an established Venue Manager with experience in sales, planning, marketing, finance and operations, who is looking for a new professional challenge and the opportunity to put their own stamp on a new, exciting event venue business in Central London.
We are looking for an energetic and self-motivated Venue General Manager who is ready to take on the responsibility and work with us to redesign, relaunch and manage a historic event venue in the City of London and build a successful team to drive this new venture to business success.
The venue is one of the celebrated London Livery Halls, which are an integral part of the fabric of the Square Mile. The building has an established event past and is waiting for a new phase in its glorious history. After seventeen months of a forced halt to in-person events, there could not be a better time to enter the competitive London venue market with a new offering, fit for modern event delivery and hosted in a building of great character in the very heart of the City of London.
This role is ideal for a highly motivated, self-organised individual with a positive, can-do attitude, an always-improve mindset and the ability to own a project from start to finish, delivering exceptional results no matter what.
Reporting to Newable senior management, the Venue General Manager will be responsible for:
- launching a new venue business and drive the promotional strategy in collaboration with the sales staff, appropriately positioning the venue on the markets;
- developing a commercial proposition and sales strategy that identifies potential for growth and the best market segments, with a pricing structure that betters market expectations;
- driving income generation through maximising space utilisation, operational excellence and exceptional customer service;
- building strong and trusted relationships with agents, suppliers and clients;
- building and keeping under review catering and other contractual arrangements to ensure the delivery of commercial and experiential value;
- negotiating the best rates with clients, suppliers and agents;
- taking overall responsibility for achieving monthly and annual sales targets, maximising yield and minimising costs within the venue business;
- identifying, assessing, costing and reporting on business development opportunities;
- working with the Newable Events and Central Marketing teams to exploit all opportunities of promoting the venue and positioning it as a ‘Venue of Choice’ in Central London;
- managing the venue social media and other promotional channels;
- leading the launch and refurbishment of a new event venue;
- managing venue operations and front-of-house experience to position the venue as a premium conference and business events space in London;
- ensuring the safe, efficient and effective operation of the venue in accordance with Newable and landlord’s policies, contractual requirements, building regulations and any other relevant legislation;
- developing and reviewing disability access strategies in line with industry best practice;
- ensuring that the building is maintained to the required high standards of cleanliness, meeting all health & safety requirements, including COVID-19 guidance, ensuring all building systems are working, regularly serviced and maintained in an efficient state and the appropriate insurance covers are in place;
- providing timely and accurate management information to support the strategic planning and profitable development of the event venue business;
- operating within the approved budget and ensure monthly, quarterly and yearly financial and operational KPIs are met and
- drawing up contracts and invoices;
- putting in place controls and measurement systems throughout the venue;
- ensuring staff, contractors and suppliers are regularly paid in line with the agreed budget;
- ensuring deposits and full payments made are in line with the contract;
- create and oversee an annual venue budget and providing regular forecast projections to ensure the income and expenditure are in-line with financial targets and objectives;
- monitoring the business cash flow;
- selecting, managing and developing a customer-focused and commercially successful venue team;
- ensuring staff are motivated and appropriately trained to carry out their responsibilities;
- creating run-sheets and briefings, book and manage temporary to staff cover events in the venues when needed;
- developing and driving an effective client and customer service strategy that puts clients and customers first and ensures the client and customer journey consistently exceeds expectations;
- ensuring that an excellent standard of service is provided at all times at the venue;
- organising and managing a changing workload in order to handle daily and ongoing enquiries;
- designing and implementing procedures to manage complaints and respond to negative feedback from clients and stakeholders in a timely and constructive manner, nurturing a team culture based on lessons learnt and an always-improve mindset;
- designing, implementing and overseeing effective procedures aimed at ensuring that all bookings and enquiries are professionally dealt with at the venue;
- ensuring that speakers and delegates receive a professional and welcoming registration service by the front of house staff and all client requirements are met;
- undertaking client and potential-client show-rounds, providing detailed information and maximising conversion and confirmation of bookings;
- updating and maintaining information on upcoming bookings via software and in-team meetings;
- ensuring that all financial procedures relating to bookings are adhered to, including the checking of draft invoice preparation forms for Finance department;
- developing strong relationships with all Key Accounts, mapping organisations, and developing opportunities for growing business;
- providing on-the-day management of events and shoots when required;
- ensuring that day-to-day queries and changes to requirements are professionally dealt with;
- scheduling and conducting recess of the venue.
Knowledge and experience
To qualify for this role, the successful candidate will need to possess the following:
Essential knowledge and experience
- at least 3 years’ experience running a London event venue business with demonstrable profit record;
- strong sales and business development expertise with proven track record in growing income streams while managing costs;
- track record in strategic planning and operational delivery at an appropriate level;
- experience building and developing an event venue brand;
- extensive knowledge of the London, and in particular Central London event venue market;
- extensive knowledge of the catering and event venue supplier landscape.
- proven track record in effectively negotiating deals with service providers and suppliers;
- understanding of event venue AV and IT systems;
- budget management in excess of £300,000;
- financial acumen with the ability to manage budgets and report on financial KPIs;
- track record in leading and developing event venue front of house, sales and AV teams;
- experience developing a culture of collaboration and team work and delivering excellent customer service;
- marketing experience including using social media to build profile and drive business opportunities;
- proven experience building successful relationships with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders and operating with a flexible and inclusive approach;
- track record in designing and delivering successful business events for a variety of sectors and clients;
- strong organisational skills, evidence of previous project planning, delivery and management experience;
- Advanced MS Office skills.
- launching a new venue or venture;
- managing event venue businesses in listed or historic buildings;
- managing event venues in the London Livery Hall market;
- upgrading venues for hybrid events;
- managing party and wedding event venues;
- proven record in change management;
- budget management in excess of £600,000.
For the last 35 years, Newable has worked with passionate people at the heart of the British economy, helping ambitious businessmen and women to start, sustain and grow.
We do this through our Advice services designed to help UK Small and Medium-Sized Enterprises (SMEs) become more innovative, access finance, succeed in international markets and achieve their business ambitions, as well as through our Money and Flexible Space solutions.
To find our more, please visit www.newable.co.uk.Download Job Description